Stereo hat wont put cameras on i2c bus

Published by Adam626 on

Home Forums Cameras Modules for Raspberry Pi Multi-Camera and Sync Stereo Camera HAT Stereo hat wont put cameras on i2c bus

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by bin.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Adam626
      Participant

Hi.

I recently purchased a 5mp stereo hat. I connect it to my rpi4 and run a raspistill command and it appears to work fine. Cool.

So I navigate to the stereo_depth_demo to emulate the coolness I saw on the web.

[email protected]:~/MIPI_Camera/RPI/stereo_depth_demo $ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libatomic.so.1 python3 1_test.py
      Open camera…
      Error: Could not open file /dev/i2c-0' or/dev/i2c/0′: No such file or directory
      I2C check functionality fail.
      init_camera: Unexpected result.

Ok, that tells me the cameras aren’t on the i2c bus. So I check.

[email protected]:~/MIPI_Camera/RPI/stereo_depth_demo $ sudo i2cdetect -y 1
      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
      00: — — — — — — — — — — — — —
      10: — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —
      20: — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —
      30: — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —
      40: — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —
      50: — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —
      60: — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —
      70: — — — — — — — —

Sure enough, no devices.

So here is what I’ve done to ensure the issue isn’t on my end.

1) I read through the read me and installed the wiringpi-latest.deb since I’m on a pi-4. Same result as above.

2) I disconnect and reconnect both camera cables as well as the pi camera cable. Same result as above.

3) I made my own connector as I don’t want the stereo hat on top of the pi. I removed my connector and disassembled my case and put the stereo hat directly on top of the pi and used the stereo hat connector directly. Same result as above.

4) I connected some other i2c device to my pi in order to validate the i2c bus works. It shows up and functions just fine.

Not sure what a next step would be? Please help.

I did notice that the error printed says it is looking for i2c-0, which is what it would be looking for on an older pi model. I am running a pi-4, which is i2c-1. Is the error text just misleading? Can I set which bus I want? Where?

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

bin
      Keymaster

Hello, You should open the /boot/config.txt file and add dtparam=i2c_vc=on to use the i2c0 bus.

Adam626
      Participant

Excellent. That worked. Thank you. I saw that in the manual, but assumed the line was meant for older versions of pis and I needed to enable the raspberry pi4’s master i2c. Since I thought I had enabled the only pi-4 i2c bus, it didn’t occur to me to add that line. My bad. Again, thank you for the help.

bin
      Keymaster

Hello,

Great to hear you have solved your problems.

Let me know if you need more help.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.