PTZ does not work

Published by Margarito Lehmann on

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Margarito Lehmann
      Participant

Hello Arducam,

My PTZ does not work. python FocuserExample.py shows preview for 1 second then program exits. Connected to Pi 4, using Python 2.7.16. Everything seems to be connected okay.

Please advise. Thanks.

bin
      Keymaster

Hello,

In order to help you debug it, I need detail error messages and your detail operation steps.

fisha462
      Participant

I had a difficult time getting this to work.  It had a lot to do with OpenCV installation.  Also when I run the code from the terminal, the import cv2 line fails.  If I run the code in an IDE with terminal it works.

bin
      Keymaster

Hi,

Great to hear you have solved your problem. For the openCV, which need X11 display system, you can’t run it in remote terminal.

fisha462
      Participant

I had that problem initially as I tried to run the python script using a remote connection to my PI.  Once I used the connected monitor AND the Thonny Python IDE it worked.  When I tried to run the python script from a terminal it said it couldn’t import CV2.  I was using python3 though.  Anything I run the autofocus script, the program results in error and it does not focus.

wong

Hi @fisha462 ,

Have you tried python2.7? If the IDE works, it means that you have a python version that works, please try multiple versions.

By the way, if you still have problems please send us the error message.

• This reply was modified 1 day, 14 hours ago by wong.
      fisha462
      Participant

Wong,

My IDE is using python 3.7.3.  Inside my IDE, I am using Numpy version 4.1.0 and OpenCV 1.16.2.  I am able to run the FocuserExample.py except when I hit “Enter”:

When I try to run the AutoFocus.py, I get the following error:

TypeError: slice indices must be integers or None or have an __index__ method on line 77:

“image = image[(height / 4):((height / 4) * 3),(width / 4):((width / 4)) * 3]”.

I did some research and it looks like you could do this in Numpy 1.11 but you can no longer in Numpy 1.12 and above.

Do you have any suggestions?  I am trying to use this camera in conjunction with other code that will require never version of Python, OpenCV, and Numpy.  I am a relative novice with Python but I am stubborn so I will continue to attempt to make it work.  In the mean time, I will try to install OpenCV in Python 2, it looks like it takes a little bit of work to get it installed in that older version of Python.

Thanks for your help.

Aaron

fisha462
      Participant

Wong,

I got the code to run on Python3.7 but changing all of the ‘/’ to ‘//’ where its trying to slice the index.  The code runs now but it doesn’t work very well.  I imagine taking those floats away made it lose it’s level of accuracy?

Aaron

wong

fisha462,

Changing the’/’ to’//’ is the correct approach, this should not affect accuracy.
      This focusing procedure is very simple, its accuracy is not very high, is there a big difference between you before and after modification?

fisha462
      Participant

Wong,

I was never able to run the code in Python 2 so I can’t comment on the performance of the auto-focus code.  I have observed that the camera usually goes past the point of focus when I run the code in Python 3.  About 50% of the time I get a blurry image after running.  I have tried it with different levels of zoom and tried pointing the camera at different objects at different lengths away.  Once the code is finished I can always manually adjust the focus, it seems like the auto-focus code doesn’t adjust the zoom.  I should ask what is the intent of the code? Was it to give your customers a pure example that wasn’t mean’t to be used in a real application?  In other words can that code be improved upon?  It seems to me that it can be improved.  I am having a lot of fun doing this, I hope my questions are engaging for you as well!

Thanks!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.