Pi HQ Camera lens unable to focus

Hi -

I recently picked up a 6mm lenses for the HQ camera … https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B088D4WRMD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Try as I might, I have not yet been able to achieve any sort of focus whatsoever with this lens, trying the full range of adjustment of both the camera back focus as well as the lens focus adjustments.

Any ideas of what I might be doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Here are some of the issues that you might notice:

(1) Check if the C-CS adapter is on the thread. This is a CS-Mount camera so if you forget to move the adapter off, it won’t be able to focus. To check that, make sure your camera looks like the following where the focus ring with the fix screw is right above the back focus adjustment ring.

(2) Notice the order when you are adjust the lens. The following steps is recommended:

i. unscrew the fix focus handle on the focus ring

ii. adjust the focus ring until you reach the best sharpness you can, regardless of whether it’s in focus. Then spin/screw the focus handle to fix it.

iii. unscrew the back focus lock screw.

iv. adjust the back focal adjustment ring back and forth until you get a best sharp image. Then screw the back focus lock screw.

v. fine tune the focus ring again if necessary.

Thanks for the quick response Lee. Yep, just a basic misunderstanding on my part … I had the C-CS adapter on my camera.

I’m pretty new with these lenses (obviously) and therefore thought the C and CS style lenses had a different thread. I didn’t read too deeply into it, so just figured that the CS lens was the one that needed the adapter. And it fit, so I didn’t give it a second thought.

Thanks again for getting me straightened out (and for the focusing tips) … all is much better now.

Larry

You are welcome, Larry. As the seller, we are glad to help you understand and use them better.

Like you, many people are new with these lenses. I’m pretty sure a lot them will definitely encounter the same issue as yours. I also notice that you might have purchased this item from Amazon, and many of the Amazon customers will not visit our forum but turn to the Amazon page for help.

Therefore, we can really use your help if you are willing to share your issue and the solution on Amazon, so other people can use your information to better understand how the lens should work before or after they make the purchase.

You can also come back to our forum or blogs if you have further issues.

Lee

That’s a very good suggestion Lee … I’ll be sure to post a review/comments to Amazon shortly.

Thanks again,

Larry

Let us know if you need more help.

Hi, I have a problem with the Arducam IR cut HQ camera module and focusing.
I’m trying to fit my c mount zoom lenses 8-64mm. I can get these lenses to work with the Raspberry Pi HQ camera module but it seems like the focus point is in a different place which is not possible to get to with the cs to c mount adapter and the IR cut module. Does this sound right? There is a back flange in the official HQ camera which you can adjust and then tighten, but for this I can’t see that the same controls exist in the Arducam. Are there another other adapters which can help to fit custom c-mount lenses other than the cs-c mount adapter which could help me here?

Thanks