ov9281 with headless RPi4b not working with gstreamer

Dear colleagues,

I have installed the ov9281 and worked through the quick setup guide. Instead of using the dtoverlay, I have installed the MIPI_Camera/RPI repository from github. The camera is found and the result of the command

v4l2-ctl --stream-mmap --stream-count=-1 -d /dev/video0 --stream-to=/dev/null

appears as in the screenshot in the guide.

Everything in the quick start guide works, up until “First Use”. I cannot get video, or any image, to appear on the client computer (running ubuntu 18.04)

I am trying to stream video from my headless raspberry pi 4b to an ubuntu computer. Both have the latest installation of gstreamer. The two computers communicate wirelessly over a local network router using ssh. For purposes of setting this up, I have disconnected my router from the internet and disabled the firewalls on both computers, so port access issues aren’t a problem.

I have tried both versions of the code in the README.md file in the /RPI folder.

Example 1 process and results:

First the Pi to start the stream:

`pi://~MIPI_Camera/RPI $ ./video2stdout | nc - l -p 5000

Open camera…

Found sensor ov9281 at address 60

init camera status = 4100`

The the Ubuntu machine to play the stream:

`ubuntu:~$ gst-launch-1.0 -v tcpclientsrc host=192.168.1.40 port=5000 ! decodebin ! autovideosink sync = false

Setting pipeline to PAUSED …

Pipeline is PREROLLING …`

and that’s it. No PLAYING and no video. It just hangs up in that status.

I know they are connected, since when I ctrl+c on the Pi side, to stop the camera stream, the ubuntu side also terminates with the following output:

`ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipelline0/GstDecodeBin:decodebin0/GstTypeFindElement:typefind: Stream doesn’t contain enough data.

Additional debug info:

gsttypefindelement.c(996): gst_type_find_element_chain_do_typefinding (): /GstPipeline:pipeline0(GstDecodeBin: decodebin0/GstTypeFindElement:typefind:

Can’t typefind stream

ERROR: pipeline doesn’t want to preroll

Setting pipeline to NULL…

Freeing pipeline…`

Trying Example 2:

initiating on the Pi side:

`pi://~MIPI_Camera/RPI $ ./video2stdout | gst-launch-1.0 -v fdsrc ! h264parse ! rtph264pay config-interval=1 pt =96 ! gdppay ! tcpserversink host=19.168.1.40 port=5000

Open camera …

Pipeline is PREROLLING …

/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstTCPServerSink:tcpserversink0: current-port = 5000

Found sensor ov9281 at address 60`

Pi pauses for about 1 second then continues

`Pipeline is PREROLLED …

Setting pipeline to PLAYING …

New clock: GstSystemClock

Got EOS from element “pipeline0”

Execution ended after 0:00:00.001462016

setting pipeline to PAUSED …

setting pipeline to READY …

setting pipeline to NULL …

Freeing pipeline …

pi://~MIPI_Camera/RPI $`

Doing my best “fastest draw in the West” act, I tried to start the client side script as quickly as possible. Here’s what that looks like:

`user $ gst-launch-1.0 -v tcpclientsrc host=192.168.1.40 port=5000 ! gdpdepay ! rtph264depay ! avdec_h264 ! autovideosink sync=false

Setting pipeline to PREROLLING …

Pipeline is PREROLLED

Setting pipline to PLAYING …

New clock: GstSystemClock

GOT EOS from element “pipeline0”

Execution ended after 0:00:00.000599961

Setting pipeline to READY …

Setting pipeline to NULL …

Freeing pipeline …

user $`

With Version 2, it seems to have connected and played the stream for some trivial fraction of second. Any ideas what is going on here? This is really difficult to debug.

Thank you

Hello,

Thanks for your detail descriptions. Don’t worry and I will try my best to help you.

Let’s solve the issue step by step.

Firstly, we should ensure the MIPI_Camera driver and the unicam driver are different. If you want to visit the video0 node through the V4L2, you should use unicam driver instead of MIPI_Camera driver. The MIPI_Camera driver does not release video0 node for users.

Using unicam driver, just add dtoverlay=ov9281 to /boot/config.txt. Then reboot, you can use ls /dev/video0 to check if the video0 node is exist. If normal, you will see the video0 and using v4l2-ctl --stream-mmap --stream-count=-1 -d /dev/video0 --stream-to=/dev/null command can visit the camera.

Using the MIPI_Camera driver, you should comment or delete the dtoverlay=ov9281, which is very important. Because the two driver are

conflict. They can’t work together.

I am running to a similar issue, all the steps apear correctly as explained in the tutorial until I get to run v4l2-ctl --stream-mmap --stream-count=-1 -d /dev/video0 --stream-to=/dev/null
running this command just gets stuck and nothing happens. I started from a fresh installation of raspberry pi OS and I have a ov9281 sensor which I purchased back in 2019
any help is appreciated.