OV7251 MIPI camera

Published by on

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Erika 14 hours, 43 minutes ago.

• Author

Erika

I am currently using the Arducam OV7251 MIPI camera for Raspberry Pi, and am interested in additional Arducam camera products.

I have a few questions related to changing register values and using the windows GUI.

1)      Is there a way to utilize the Camera Demo GUI for changing the register values on a MIPI camera? (Would this require a USB to MIPI conversion board?)

I would like to use the Camera Demo GUI for reading/writing register values, however I believe this GUI may be intended for a USB camera.

(Referring to the demo GUI as described here: https://github.com/ArduCAM/ArduCAM_USB_Camera_Shield/tree/master/Windows/GUI/USBTest)

2)      Can you point me to a detailed list of register values for this specific camera sensor? I am interested in accessing registers related to the Frame Sync In (FSIN) and Strobe pins.

a.       Since I am using a MIPI device, do the register values corresponding to Strobe in the OV7251 match the register values defined in the MIPI CSS spec under Flash Strobe?

Any guidance on these questions would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Erika

• #12023 Reply

Lee Jackson
    Keymaster

1. The Windows GUI is designed for debugging the cameras, you can directly change the sensor register on the fly. For MIPI cameras you do need MIPI adapter board as well. Please go to the document->camera adapter board for more info about particular camera module.
    2. You have to find the corresponding image sensor data sheet (OV7251) for register values. In terms of the FSIN function, it is very tricky, the data sheet doesn’t tell any useful information about it.

In terms of the STROBE, it is also called Flash signal.

• #12026 Reply

Erika

Hi I am trying to use the FSIN and STROBE signals as they are described in the OV7251 datasheet.

I am trying to use the FSIN and STROBE pins from the Arducam board, and I have the arducam running using “./arducamstill –t 0 –m 0 –awb 1 –ae 1” I have also tried “./capture”

But neither of the pins output any signal corresponding to the integration of the pixal array.

Can you please explain how to get the strobe pin to output signals as described in the datasheet? The datasheet claims that the “strobe generates a pulse with a reference starting point at the time  when the pixel array starts integration.”

• #12027 Reply

Erika

Updated question:

I have been following the OV7251 datasheet and I have been trying to utilize the STROBE and FSIN pins that are advertised as part of this board’s functionality, however I have not been able to get the signals that are expected. The datasheet claims that the “strobe generates a pulse with a reference starting point at the time  when the pixel array starts integration.”

I have changed (written to) register value 0x3005 to the value 0x02 and register 0x3027 to value 0x08 and still there are no pulses generated when I have the camera running using  “./arducamstill –t 0 –m 0 –awb 1 –ae 1”

Note: Wrote to register values by editing this code: https://github.com/ArduCAM/MIPI_Camera/blob/master/RPI/read_write_sensor_reg.c

Can someone please contact me to explain how to get the STROBE pin to output the signals it is supposed to?

• #12503 Reply

Lee Jackson
    Keymaster

Please check the external trigger settings below:

REG = 0x3666, 0x00 //enable FSIN input
    REG = 0x3823, 0x30
    REG = 0x3824, 0x01
    REG = 0x3825, 0x07
    REG = 0x3826, 0x00
    REG = 0x3827, 0x00

• #12625 Reply

Erika

Hi,

Will changing these register values allow me to get an output from the STROBE pin?

Why did you send register values to change for doing an external trigger? I am interested in operating the camera and having the camera driver itself control STROBE and FSIN. I am not planning on sending any input to FSIN to trigger……

Please let me know, thank you.

• #12651 Reply

Lee Jackson
    Keymaster

@Erika

Send these settings after you bring up the camera, it allows you to send trigger signal to FSIN pins to external tigger the camera, there is nothing to do with STROBE. STROBE need addtional settings to set it as output to drive your Flash light.

• #12883 Reply

Erika

Hi Lee,

I changed the register values from the list you sent and there is still no external trigger or ability to use STROBE as advertised.

Here is a detailed explanation of everything I have tried changing:

I have been following the OV7251 datasheet (attached) and I am trying to utilize the STROBE and FSIN pins that are advertised as part of this board’s functionality, however I have not been able to get the signals that are expected. The datasheet claims that the “strobe generates a pulse with a reference starting point at the time when the pixel array starts integration.”

I want to be able to run the camera and have the STROBE pin output the reference signal at start of integration. I do not want to have an external trigger, although if that is the only option then I would like to learn more about the register value changes needed for that as well.

Below is the list of register values I have changed:

I wrote to the following registers:

1.        REG = 0x3666, //enable FSIN input

a.        Original value: 0x0A

b.        Changed value: 0x00

2.        REG = 0x3823,

a.        Original value:0x00

b.        Changed value: 0x30

3.        REG = 0x3824,

a.        Original value: 0x00

b.        Changed value: 0x01

4.        REG = 0x3825,

a.        Original value: 0x00

b.        Changed value: 0x07

5.        REG = 0x3826,

a.        Kept original value: 0x00

6.        REG = 0x3827,

a.        Kept original value: 0x00

After reading the datasheet I also changed:

·         Register 0x3005

o    Original value: 0x00

o    Changed value: 0x02

·         Register 0x3027

o    Original value: 0x00

o    Changed value: 0x08

Yet still there are no pulses generated when I have the camera running using  “./arducamstill –t 0 –m 0 –awb 1 –ae 1” as per instructions from this github: https://github.com/ArduCAM/MIPI_Camera/tree/master/RPI

Can someone please contact me to explain how to get the STROBE pin to output the signals it is supposed to?
      I have also been emailing support@arducam.com but they are still working out how to help me.

Reply To: OV7251 MIPI camera
Your information: