Gstreamer pipeline for h264 on UB0212

Published by steveatinfincia on

Home Forums USB Video Class (UVC) Camera Modules Gstreamer pipeline for h264 on UB0212

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      steveatinfincia
      Participant

Hi πŸ™‚

I’m using the UB0212 model, with the IMX323 sensor and Sonix SN9C292B encoder chip.

YUV/MJPEG output works, but h264 mode using Gstreamer (or FFmpeg) I can only see it sending keyframes so the stream is 1fps or even 0.5fps (the amount of data also matches this, 50KB/s rather than 500KB/s).

I have tested with ELP’s H264_Preview.exe tool on Windows, there it is able to put the camera in h264 mode and record 30fps with an average data rate of 500KB/s.

The encoder chip may not be sending h264 elementary stream by default, but h264 wrapped in MPEG-TS or what Sonix calls “Skype-TS”, the datasheet for some of the other SN9C2XXX chips say it supports several stream formats for h264 so there must be a way to switch and Gstreamer just doesn’t know how to do it.

My guess is the stream I am seeing is one of those other formats, and by chance Gstreamer is able to find the start codes for h264 keyframes every 1-2 seconds so those frames are processed, but it can’t read the rest of the h264 data.

What is the recommended way to use h264 on this camera? Is there a Gstreamer pipeline that is known to work?

Thanks πŸ™‚

bin
      Keymaster

Hello,

Don’t worry and I will try it and reply you as soon as possible.

bin
      Keymaster

Hello,

Please tell me your detail operations and I will help you tested it following your steps.

steveatinfincia
      Participant

Sure, I’m using this gstreamer pipeline on Linux (desktop/raspberry pi, they all do the same thing here):

gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video2 ! queue ! video/x-h264,width=1280,height=720,framerate=30/1 ! h264parse ! rtph264pay ! udpsink host=192.168.40.14 port=5600

This works, the camera produces h264 and Gstreamer can read the keyframes. This results in 50KB/s of data sent over the network, and a matching Gstreamer pipeline on the other side succeeds to decode and render the video, but only keyframes around 0.5-1fps, which is what I would expect if the stream only has keyframes every 1-2 seconds.

A pipeline that saves the parsed h264 to a file provides further detail on why:

gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video2 ! queue ! video/x-h264,width=1280,height=720,framerate=30/1 ! h264parse ! filesink location=t.h264

When I analyze this file with YUView or any other program that can read NAL units, it is composed of just a sequence of AUD, SPS, PPS, IDR, with no slices/p-frames in between. This matches the stream behavior, only keyframes show up so the video looks 0.5-1fps.

steveatinfincia
      Participant

Update on this: I looked at the stream coming from the camera itself, the sequence is like this:

SPS, PPS, IDR, SPS, NON-IDR, SPS, NON-IDR, SPS, NON-IDR…

So there are SPS before every non-IDR NAL unit, which seems to be confusing most software including h264parse in gstreamer as well as ffmpeg/libavcodec.

I can’t imagine why the SPS would need to be repeated like this, if it changed it would have to be followed by an IDR anyway, which I think is why software is confused about this, it’s expecting to immediately see another IDR and that doesn’t happen for another 1000-2000ms.

This can be worked around in custom software I think, but it seems like a firmware bug on the camera, I’ve never seen any other h264 encoder produce a stream like this. Generally they’re like this:

SPS, PPS, IDR, NON-IDR, NON-IDR, NON-IDR…

bin
      Keymaster

Hello,

Sorry for my late reply. I just had dental surgery last week, so I’m resting at home today. As for the firmware problem you mentioned, I will confirm with the firmware side as soon as possible.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.