Dual Camera Breakout Board

Hi,

I would like to know if the dual camera breakout board supports using the two cameras in the same synchronized fashion, but using different exposure times for each camera. As the blog post states that the camera board disguises itself as a virtual camera, I think this is not possible, or is it ?

Hi dgs09
For the current implementation, the two camera settings should be exactly the same, because the sensors I2C interface is broadcasting.
Would you please let me know why you need different exposure time for each camera.
Thanks.
Lee

I would like to use them for simultaneous exposure bracketing.

I’m not sure about “simultaneous exposure bracketing” you are talking about, can you show me something?

The principle is simple, multiple (in this case 2) exposures are taken with different exposure times. The results of these are slightly warped (due to non-zero camera baseline) and then combined into a single image for enhanced dynamic range.

dgs09
There are two ways to enhance the dynamic range:

1. use multiple exposure time to combine them together.
    I think you can do that by setting different exposure time to the sensor seperately, but it need extra circuits and effort for this particular application.
  2. use more bit depth from the camera, some of the camera support 10bit, 12bit output.

Hi,

I am looking to use the Sync Stereo Camera HAT with 2 B0066 Cameras. Would it be possible to do so? If so, where would I connect the jumper wires to the cameras?

lleblanc
Yes, it is possible, but more tiny hand work. You have to wire one camera oscillator output to the other camera and remove the current one.
It is better to use stereo camera bar with two cameras on the bar and conncect it directly to the stereo camera HAT without effort.
https://www.uctronics.com/index.php/arducam-synchronized-stereo-camera-bundle-kit-5mp-for-raspberry-pi-2173.html
https://www.uctronics.com/index.php/arducam-synchronized-stereo-camera-bundle-kit-8mp-for-raspberry-pi.html

Is it possible to remove the cameras from the board and add extension cables from the board to the cameras? My application has a limited amount of space and couldn’t fit that stereo board but would work if the cameras are separated from the board by extensions.

lleblanc

Yes, it is possible to extend the camera with extension cables, but it might degrade the signal which is very high speed. Anyway you can hack B0068 or this stereo camera boar yourself, and then do customized design if needed.

What type of connection is it between the camera and board?

It is possible, but we don’t recommend to do that, because it might not be reliable. This kind of customized design should be designed case by case for overall performance.

Hi, my target is to capture stereo images at 180fps@720p (each cam). Can the [B0195] Synchronized Stereo Camera HAT together with 2x [B0183] Arducams IMX219 Low Distortion connected to a Pi4 record 180fps@2x720p ?

Best regards

Frank

Hi,

180fps cannot be reached. According to the estimation of 2lane bandwidth, it can reach 85fps with double 720ps, and there is no configuration of 720p at present.
Single 8MP: 1280×720×180fps×8bit= 158.2mb
Two full 8MP: 1280×720×2×85fps×8bit= 149.4mb
After processing by the [B0195] Synchronized Stereo Camera HAT, the mipi clock sent to the raspberry PI is 680MHz, so the bandwidth of [B0195] is 680*2/8bit=170MB. After the uplink field removal and so on, it is estimated that running 2×720p (full) can reach 85fps.