Dual Camera Breakout Board

Published by dgs09 on

Home Forums Cameras Modules for Raspberry Pi Sync Stereo Camera HAT Dual Camera Breakout Board

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Lee Jackson 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

dgs09
    Participant

Hi,

I would like to know if the dual camera breakout board supports using the two cameras in the same synchronized fashion, but using different exposure times for each camera. As the blog post states that the camera board disguises itself as a virtual camera, I think this is not possible, or is it ?

• #11732 Reply

arducam19
    Keymaster

Hi dgs09
    For the current implementation, the two camera settings should be exactly the same, because the sensors I2C interface is broadcasting.
    Would you please let me know why you need different exposure time for each camera.
    Thanks.
    Lee

• #11734 Reply

dgs09
    Participant

I would like to use them for simultaneous exposure bracketing.

• #11760 Reply

arducam19
    Keymaster

I’m not sure about “simultaneous exposure bracketing” you are talking about, can you show me something?

• #11761 Reply

dgs09
    Participant

The principle is simple, multiple (in this case 2) exposures are taken with different exposure times. The results of these are slightly warped (due to non-zero camera baseline) and then combined into a single image for enhanced dynamic range.

• #11772 Reply

arducam19
    Keymaster

dgs09
    There are two ways to enhance the dynamic range:
    1. use multiple exposure time to combine them together.
    I think you can do that by setting different exposure time to the sensor seperately, but it need extra circuits and effort for this particular application.
    2. use more bit depth from the camera, some of the camera support 10bit, 12bit output.

• #11794 Reply

lleblanc

Hi,

I am looking to use the Sync Stereo Camera HAT with 2 B0066 Cameras. Would it be possible to do so? If so, where would I connect the jumper wires to the cameras?

• #11796 Reply

arducam19
    Keymaster

lleblanc
    Yes, it is possible, but more tiny hand work. You have to wire one camera oscillator output to the other camera and remove the current one.
    It is better to use stereo camera bar with two cameras on the bar and conncect it directly to the stereo camera HAT without effort.
    https://www.uctronics.com/index.php/arducam-synchronized-stereo-camera-bundle-kit-5mp-for-raspberry-pi-2173.html
    https://www.uctronics.com/index.php/arducam-synchronized-stereo-camera-bundle-kit-8mp-for-raspberry-pi.html

• #11848 Reply

arducam19
      Keymaster

lleblanc

Yes, it is possible to extend the camera with extension cables, but it might degrade the signal which is very high speed. Anyway you can hack B0068 or this stereo camera boar yourself, and then do customized design if needed.

• #11973 Reply

lleblanc

What type of connection is it between the camera and board?

• #11846 Reply

lleblanc

Is  it possible to remove the cameras from the board and add extension cables from the board to the cameras? My application has a limited amount of space and couldn’t fit that stereo board but would work if the cameras are separated from the board by extensions.

• #12016 Reply

Lee Jackson
      Keymaster

It is possible, but we don’t recommend to do that, because it might not be reliable. This kind of customized design should be designed case by case for overall performance.

Reply To: Dual Camera Breakout Board
Your information: