Arducam AR1820HS not detected by Pi

Published by benjaminmi on

Home Forums Cameras Modules for Raspberry Pi Arducam MIPI Camera Modules Arducam AR1820HS not detected by Pi

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      benjaminmi
      Participant

Hello,
      I ordered an Arducam ar1820hs module ( #100008139 for Order #100008638). It does not seem to be working. I have tried to use it with a Raspberry Pi 3 model B and model B+. Both Raspberry Pi’s worked with another raspberry pi camera I have, so the problem is with the Arducam module itself. I get the following error: mmal: Cannot read camera info, keeping the defaults for OV5647 mmal.
      This error is considered to be either due to not having the camera module enabled on the Raspberry pi (I was sure to enable it, and again the pi’s worked for another camera), or due to poor connection or a hardware issue. I was careful to make sure the strip connecting the module to the pi was inserted correctly, with the correct orientation on each end. If you could please advise me on how to resolve this matter, that would be much appreciated.

bin
      Keymaster

Hi,

Using our AR1820 sensor, you should use  our MIPI_Camera library instead of raspistill command and other official command, due to the official drive does not support other sensor expect imx219 and ov5647.

You can get our driver here: https://github.com/ArduCAM/MIPI_Camera.git

Let me know if you need more help.

benjaminmi
      Participant

Hello,

I was wondering how to record a video for longer than the default 10 seconds. How can I specify a longer recording time?

Otherwise, the github link you provided was perfectly helpful. Thank you!

bin
      Keymaster

Hi,

You can set the record video time here

benjaminmi
      Participant

Hello,

One last question. I cannot get the saved video file. I was able to use your tip to extend the time that the camera records, but I cannot use -o to choose the outputted file name – the output is always a 3 second, highly discontinuous video called test.h264. I tried to use the github guide to use “rebuild” but nothing happens.

Thank you

bin
      Keymaster

Hi,

If you want to rename the file name, just need to optimize it here 

Since we are now storing h264 naked video streams, there is no encoded frame rate information and video information.

The playback speed depends on the decoding speed of your player.

benjaminmi
      Participant

Hi,

Just to be clear, are you saying that the playback speed as well as the length of the video is a function of the video player? Because, when I try to run the saved video file on the pi, even though the camera recorded for 20s, the saved video is always only about 3 seconds.

bin
      Keymaster

Hi,

Hello, yes, without encoded information, the playback speed depends on the decoding speed of your player.  About the length of the video,which depends on your sensor’s frame rate and recording time.

What about your sensor’s frame  rate? What’s the size of your h264 file?

If the sensor’s frame rate is not very fast such as 10fps. you record 20 seconds all the frames are 20×10=200 fps in your h264 files. If your player’s decode ability is very fast, it’s going to be very short.

benjaminmi
      Participant

Hello,

The sensor is an Arducam AR1820HS. If you could kindly explain how I can convert the h264 file into an mp4 file properly, that would be great. I am not sure how to select the frame rate because apparently the camera has multiple settings which the frame rate depends on. Regardless, if I record for 20s, and convert the h264 file to an mp4 file, the file should be 20s. But, instead it’s 7 seconds and only has 3 or 4 frames in it, of really poor quality and sometimes discoloured.

benjaminmi
      Participant

Actually, my main problem is choosing the frame rate and resolution while recording at this point. Converting the h264 file is no problem.

benjaminmi
      Participant

Actually ACTUALLY, my main problem is that video.c refuses to compile. I don’t know how I managed to change the video recording time before successfully, but when I tried to adjust the frame rate, the video executable got deleted and I can’t produce a new executable.

bin
      Keymaster

Hi,

The frame speed of the ar1820 1080p is very slow. Our video demo just to demonstrate the encoder function. We have not covert the h264 to mp4. It’s a pleasure to work with you on how to encode h264 into MP4

Can you try to change other resolution and faster frame speed. Such as choose a smaller resolution and retry?

benjaminmi
      Participant

Hi,

Unfortunately I cannot compile the video.c code. It throws the error “undefined references to …” functions that are all defined in arducam_mipicamera.h .

The specs for the camera state that the camera can do 1920×1080 resolution at 60 FPS. I don’t understand why you say that the 1080p frame speed is very low when the official specs say otherwise. I chose this camera because I needed a high resolution and high FPS. It’s an 18 MP camera after all.

Also, after we solve the issue of compiling video.c, can you tell me which lines to adjust to change frame rate and resolution?

Thank you

benjaminmi
      Participant

Hi,

I solved the compilation issue. Now, my very last issue (sorry for all the trouble, by the way) is just adjusting the frame rate. I tried a smaller resolution (1280 width, 720 height) but that actually lowered the frame rate instead of increasing it.

bin
      Keymaster

Hi,

You are welcome. It’s my honor to try my best to help you solve your problems.

About changing the frame speed, which is not easy. It need to change our lib.

Tomorrow I will try to help you improve the frame speed.

bin
      Keymaster

Hi,

I have tested it for you. About the ar1820, we have five mdes. Shown as the below image

You can try the mode0  1232×920 and the frame speed can up to 40 fps.

The mode1 1920×1080 can up to 20 fps.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.