Arducam multi camera adaptor v2.2 with two 5MP cameras not working

Hi,

I’ve got Arducam Multi Camera Adapter module V2.2, Arducam Noir Camera for Raspberry Pi, Interchangeable CS Mount Lens LS-2717CS, OV5647 5MP 1080P and the OV5647 Camera Board /w CS mount Lens fully compatible with Raspberry Pi 4/3B+/3 Camera. I was trying to control the two cameras using a Raspberry Pi 4B.

Both cameras are working properly when connected individually to the RPI.

I have installed the packages as specified in https://www.uctronics.com/download/Amazon/B0120.pdf

when I ran

sudo ./init_camera.sh

I got the following error messages:

pi@raspberrypi:~/RaspberryPi/Multi_Camera_Adapter/Multi_Adapter_Board_4Channel/Multi_Camera_Adapter_V2.2/RaspberryPi/Multi_Camera_Adapter/Multi_Adapter_Board_4Channel/Multi_Camera_Adapter_V2.2 $ sudo ./init_camera.sh
----Test i2c1
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: – – – – – – – – – – – – –
10: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
20: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
30: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
40: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
50: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
60: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
70: – – – – – – – –
----Configure Adapter Board V2.1
Error: Write failed
Adapter Board V2.1 configure OK
----install v4l2 driver
v4l2 driver install OK
----Detecting the /dev/video0 device
video0 detected!
—Start testing each camera
if all of them are normal, after it finished,you will see four image in the current path.
Start testing the camera A
Start testing the camera B
Start testing the camera C
Start testing the camera D

I have tried all 4 camera slots and kept getting this error. Could you figure out what is the problem here?

Thank you very much!

Hi,

The Error: Write failed means i2c1 write error. Have you plug the Multi-Adapter-Board to the Pi?

From the picture you attached, you have not plug the board to the pi.

What’s more, don’t forget to enable i2c1 interface.

Let me know if you need more help.

Oh thank you for pointing it out. Sorry I didn’t read the manual carefully enough.

Now I have connected the adapter with the RPI board as specified in the manual and connected the two cameras to camera A and B slots separately. When I tested the adapter I got the following error:

pi@raspberrypi:~/RaspberryPi/Multi_Camera_Adapter/Multi_Adapter_Board_4Channel/Multi_Camera_Adapter_V2.2 $ sudo ./init_camera.sh
----Test i2c1
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: – – – – – – – – – – – – –
10: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
20: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
30: – – – – – – 36 – – – – – – – – –
40: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
50: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
60: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
70: 70 – – – – – – –
----Configure Adapter Board V2.1
Adapter Board V2.1 configure OK
----install v4l2 driver
v4l2 driver install OK
----Detecting the /dev/video0 device
Can’t find video0 device, please check the hardware connection!

I tried plugged in the cameras a few times and made sure the connections are good. Could you help me with the error here?

Thank you very much!

Hello,

After you have plug the multi-adapter-board to the pi board, you should reboot to restart the system, When the system starts, it will probe the sensor.

Please retry it again as I advised.

Hi,

thanks for the reply but the error I posted above is actually after the reboot of the system. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Hello,

Don’t worry, please try to operate the i2c adapter board using i2cset -y 1 0x70 0x00 0x04

If it can work normally,which means the i2c communication normally.

It turned out to be still a connection problem. I tried reconnecting the ribbon connector on the adaptor and it works.

Thank you again for your reply!

Hello,

Great to hear it works normally. Yes, MIPI signal speed is relatively fast.
Bad wiring does have a big impact.

Hi,

I have another question regarding the speed of the adaptor.

I was trying to switch between the two cameras to take pictures as fast as possible. The fastest speed I can achieve now is about 500ms per picture for 640*480, and about 600ms per picture for 1080p. Is there a way to do it faster?

Thank you!

Hello,

Because the clocks of the two cameras are not synchronized, it is difficult for the software to accurately switch each camera at the end of a field of data, so in order to avoid data errors, we take the way of dropping the first frame and taking the second frame of data. The frame speed will have impact, as far as the current hardware design is concerned, there is no better way.