What is an autofocus lens
If a lens assembly includes a motor to move the lens closer to or further from the image sensor, and the mechanical components make the camera module smarter and more flexible. Sometimes this kind of lens is also referred to as a motorized focus lens.
With a motor inside, you don’t need to manually focus the camera by screwing the lens with your hand. Instead, you can remotely control the focus, or automate the focusing process with the help of software.
The Autofocus lens from Arducam is using I2C for motor control, also referred to as I2C autofocus.
Do we need the jumpers for autofocus?
The earliest version of the Arducam autofocus camera uses the I2C of the Raspberry Pi GPIO pins, so two extra jumpers are required. However, in the later revisions, we’ve managed to control the motor with the I2C of the camera signal, so from then on, only a single camera ribbon cable is needed. You can refer to our Raspberry Pi camera pinout page to know about which camera pins are used for I2C.
How to use an autofocus lens
You can refer to our GitHub page to know more about what is needed to use an autofocus lens on embedded systems like a Raspberry Pi Camera.
However, Just like the stock lens, an autofocus lens is not interchangeable or sold alone. You have to remove the whole lens-sensor combination to alter the focal length or IR sensitivity.
What autofocus lens does Arducam offer
Since the autofocus lens is not sold alone, Arducam sells camera modules that come with an autofocus lens. You can get a complete 5MP autofocus camera module or an 8MP IMX219 autofocus drop-in replacements.
Arducam Auto Focus Camera, Autofocus for Raspberry Pi Camera Module, Motorized Focus Lens, OV5647 5MP 1080P, Compatible with Pi 4/3B+/3
- SEE CLOSER: Software-controllable moveable Lens. Shoot objects in millimeter level and in the distance on the same camera, remotely controlled without lens adjustment tool, closer and easier than the fixed focus (1 m to infinity) official Raspberry Pi Camera Module V2
- SEE SMARTER: Thanks to the motorized lens and the Autofocus python scripts …
Arducam IMX219 Auto Focus Camera Module, drop-in replacement for Raspberry Pi V2 and NVIDIA Jetson Nano Camera
- An autofocus replacement for your Raspberry Pi camera V2 to see in a much clearer way. Also support keyboard manual focus control without adjustment tool.
- SEE NATURALLY: 8MP IMX219 sensor drop-in replacement module for your Raspberry Pi Camera Module V2 and NVIDIA Jetson Nano, works natively compatible with the Raspberry Pi
- SEE CLOSER: Software-controllable moveable Lens. See …